Cole, Alex, & Anna Grace

Monday, December 27, 2010

Our First Christmas as a Family of Five






We spent Christmas Eve at my mom's house. Anna Grace opened her first present, a babydoll from her Aunt Jacque, and she was so happy with her present that she did not feel the need to open any more gifts. It took us a long time to convince her to open more. Then, she opened a stroller for her doll, and she was gone making circles around the house pushing her new baby. She was so amazed when we got home that night and her presents had come home with us. She looked at her little doll again and laughed and said "Wow!!" I don't think she realized that she was going to get to keep all of the toys that she opened.




This year was especially special because we had all of the grandchildren there for Christmas. Anna Grace has not been the only missing grandchild at Christmas time during the last few years of our wait for her. My brother's oldest son has been with his mom on Christmas since he was a little baby, but he was finally able to rejoin our family this year. This was the first Christmas in a really long time that I finally felt like we did not have anyone "missing."



Christmas morning was spent at home playing with gifts from Santa and opening the presents under the tree. Cole and Alex were especially anxious for Christmas morning because several weeks ago, when I wrapped the presents to put under the tree, I left off the name tags. Each kid had a different kind of paper, so the boys have spent the last few weeks trying to trick me into telling them which one was theirs. They kept telling me over and over, "Mommy, this is torture!" They had one gift that was to both of them that was wrapped in a patchwork of both kinds of paper. They did not know until Christmas morning that the secret to which paper was theirs was written on the back of the patches of paper on that gift.

Later on Christmas Day, we all headed to Mike's parents' house for more family, presents, and food. We always have a great time on Christmas Day with his family because many of the extended family members come. We always have a large crowd of aunts, uncles, and cousins.


I have been learning to make pillowcase dresses and tops, and this is a little Christmas shirt that I made for Anna Grace. Mike got me a new sewing machine for Christmas so that I don't have to keep borrowing my mom's every time I want to make something. Who knows, I might even learn how to make something with sleeves soon!


We got several inches of snow on Christmas Day. Anna Grace kept going to the window yesterday saying "Oh pretty! I ready snowman!" She calls all snow "snowman," so even this morning she is going to the back door looking out at the "pretty snowman" that is covering our deck.

Yesterday, the boys were headed out to play in the snow and Anna Grace was determined to go out with them. She kept saying "I ready snowman too!" After she ripped off her pjs, she put on her mittens and hat and started trying to put on her snowsuit. I laughed so hard at the sight of her sitting in the floor wearing nothing but her underwear, a hat, and mittens crying that she could not put on her snowsuit because her mittens were in the way.

I love the little tail on the back of Anna Grace's snowsuit!

1 comment:

  1. It looks like your family had an amazing Christmas! I am so glad that you all got to be together this year, especially at your mom's house. Love to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete