Cole, Alex, & Anna Grace

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Back to School


School has officially started along with the busy schedule that will last the school year. Cole started 5th grade this year (his last year in elementary school), and Alex started 3rd grade. Cole was excited to see his friends while Alex was excited that he will begin the gifted program just like his big brother. He has talked about wanting to be in the gifted program since he was little, and he finally tested in at the end of last school year.


Both boys announced after the "Meet the Teacher" event that they were too old for me to walk them into their classrooms on the first day of school, and they could go by themselves. Part of me did agree with Cole when he said, "Seriously, Mommy. I am 10 years old. I can handle this!" But Alex is only 8. I wanted to cry when he said this. Finally, as I was tucking Alex into his bed on "back to school-eve" Alex said, "Mommy, I don't remember how to get to my classroom. Can you walk me in?" My outward reaction was a calm, "I will do what ever you need me to do for you." But, inside I was joyfully thinking, "Yes!!! He is not too big to be seen with his mommy after all!"


Anna Grace's first day of preschool is in two weeks. After listening to her brothers, she has decided that she is also too big for me to walk her to her classroom on the first day. She says, "I big. I do it all by myself. I not need you." Seriously. That is where I put my foot down! I will be taking a little time off of work to meet our sitter (who will normally drop her and pick her up from school) at the preschool so that I can take pictures of her first day. I just hope she does not get too disappointed when she realizes that the school bus will not be bringing her home!

No comments:

Post a Comment