Cole, Alex, & Anna Grace

Monday, January 31, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year!!


We celebrated Chinese New Year over the weekend with a big home cooked Chinese meal. I had a great time finding new recipes to cook, and my mom and I took Anna Grace to the international grocery stores to shop for ingredients. Then, we invited Mike's parents and my parents to eat with us. We had so much fun in the kitchen with everyone pitching-in to cook the meal. We made baked spareribs, dumplings, fried rice, chicken with vegetables in a brown sauce, and a platter of sliced oranges and dragon fruit. Everything turned out delicious!

I set the table with the Chinese tableware that my dad bought for my mom when I was a child. Each place setting also had a traditional red envelope with chocolate coins inside, since it is a New Year tradition to give money in red envelopes. I used the lanterns and tea set that we bought in China last May. We also had the little yogurt drinks and fruit jello cups that Anna Grace loved to eat in China.




I think everyone enjoyed trying new foods and learning about new customs. We will still celebrate Chinese New Year with the mentor students at our local university, but that will not be for several more weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great Chinese New Year! What a fun way to celebrate it together. :)

    ReplyDelete