Cole, Alex, & Anna Grace

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mike's Projects

Over the last several years, Mike has been using his talents to create a special room for Anna Grace. His newest addition to her room is a little table with benches. It is hard to tell from this picture, but the table is white with green and pink benches to match her room. He also hand-painted the cherry trees on her walls to match her bedding.


One of his first projects was this cabinet to store her toys. It doesn't look so great with the space heater on top of it right now, but her room gets very cold at night and the heater keeps her cozy while she sleeps. You can't tell from the picture, but the doors are made of bead board to add a decorative touch.


This doll house was a true labor of love. Mike cut the shingles out of wood and spent many hours adding little details to the house. We still don't have furniture for it, but maybe that will be Anna Grace's birthday present in May.



My dad actually made this doll cradle for me when I was a little girl, but Mike cleaned it up and painted it pink to match Anna Grace's room. I love watching Anna Grace play with her dolls in the same cradle that I used when I was little.


This is a shadow box that Mike made for Anna Grace's traditional Chinese outfit she wore for her Red Couch photos in China. It is such a special outfit that I wanted to display it on her wall. The stain of the wood is very close to the color of her dresser and bed- that same furniture that was in my room when I was little.



Mike has used the Pottery Barn catalog for inspiration for many of the pieces that he has built. I love Pottery Barn, but most of the things in the catalog are not in our budget. Mike is thinking of building some of the little tables and benches to sell. Do you think other's will be interested in his craftsmanship?

4 comments:

  1. what a beautiful room!!!!!!!! that cabinet looked like it was from Pottery Barn!!!! nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karla! That is such a beautiful room! I love that he has the time and gifts to do this. Anna Grace is such a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike has done a wonderful job with the things for Anna Grace's room. He definitely should try making some to sell. I think he'd probably do really well selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'd certainly want such amazing furniture from Mike over Pottery Barn any day. Grandpa Huff would be so proud of his beautiful craftsmanship! Tell him as soon as I get (married and) pregnant I'll keep him building! ;-)

    ReplyDelete