Cole, Alex, & Anna Grace

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

hamsters are aMAZEing


Cole is so relieved to be finished with his science fair project (and I think I might be more than a little relieved too). We have been working on this project since early January, and Cole finally presented it to his class today. He decided to see which kind of hamster is smarter- the black bear hamster or the dwarf hamster. He and Mike built a maze and we researched methods for training hamsters to run through a maze using seeds along the path. He called his project "hamsters are aMAZEing!"

This was the first science fair project for our family. If you have ever completed a science fair project, you know how involved it is. He created a research paper, a log book with the scientific method, and a backboard. Every time we thought we were getting ahead with the project, we realized that we had done something wrong. It was two steps forward and one step back the whole way through. Cole will have to do a project next year, and then Alex will be in the 4th grade and will be completing two years of projects. (Can you tell how excited I am???) I am really hoping that now that we have learned what is expected, the next projects will be a little easier.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that Cole has his project completed and that you can get a little breather before the next one. We've been working on A.J.'s, though he isn't taking it anywhere near as seriously as I think he should be. We'll probably be using our break from school (tomorrow and Monday) to get the project as close to completion as we possibly can.

    I remember doing a project similar to Cole's when I was in sixth grade. Instead of using hamsters of different sizes, I used mice of different colors (my theory being that no one color would prove to be best). I think my parents were more than a little relieved when we were able to get the mice out of our house. lol

    So, which hamster was fastest?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you will be happy to have A.J.'s project completed too. Actually, the dwarf hamster reduced her time by almost 10 minutes while the black bear hamster only decreased her time by about 1 minute. That suprised us because the black bear is our escape artist!

    ReplyDelete